I think we'd all agree that the first installment of The Mondesi Show had some degree of success. While it is still a work in progress, I plan on making it a regular feature, popping up sometime during each week.
The concept is simple: I've always thought of Mondesi's House as somewhat of a talk-show format in blog form. So I turn the keys over to you. I introduce a few hot topics to chew on, and the floor is all yours. Chime in with your thoughts on as many or as few as you wish. Or introduce another topic that's on your mind. It's all in your hands!
Welcome to The Mondesi Show!
Today's topics to stir the pot:
Today's topics to stir the pot:
1. Baseball Free Agent Lunacy - The Boston Red Sox, fresh off of their $51 million negotiating fee on Daisuke Matsuzaka and $26 million on reliver Hideki Okajima, just dropped a combined $106 million on J.D. Drew and Julio Lugo. Is this the same team that called the Yankees the Evil Empire? What do you make of the ridiculous contracts so far?
2. Jim Tressel's Vote- Ohio State coach Jim Tressel abstained from voting in the final USA Today coaches poll, citing a conflict of interest. Tressel has come under fire from critics, most notably Michigan coach Lloyd Carr, who called his Tressel's decision "slick". Do you blame Tressel for skipping this vote, or is it an obligation that he signed on for?
3. The Fate of Michel Therrien- Speculation about his firing has begun to pick up steam. The Pens have lost 12 of 16 and have struggled mightily in the process. If Therrien goes, who would you choose as a replacement?
4. Mark McGwire- Big Mac is on the ballot for the MLB Hall of Fame. If you had a vote, would you go for or against the slugger? His resume: 1626 hits, 583 HR, 1414 RBI, .263 average, .394 On-base pct, 12-time All Star, 1987 Rookie of the Year, and 1 World Series ring with the '89 A's. Oh, and there's that little steroid/HGH cloud hovering over his head. In or out?
5. Pete Rose- Were his crimes more damaging to the game than McGwire's? This is the all-time hit leader we're talking about. Regardless of what he did as a manager, he was a special player. But his unsavory actions have turned off a legion of one-time supporters. What do you say, in or out?
6. Steelers Draft- You're the Pittsburgh Steelers, and you have, let's say, the #10 pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. What direction do you go? Offensive Line? Linebacker? Running back? Receiver? Corner? Who are you leaning towards?
7. The NFL Network- We get our first glimpse of NFL Network Steeler coverage on Thursday when the Browns come to town. Do you think the NFL Network is bad for football? To this point, the NFL has been a very accessible product. By all accounts, the NFLN is a bargaining chip with other networks and cable outlets, but it seems the real losers are the fans, who are getting shut out of games in some areas. Your thoughts?
8. The Pens' future in Pittsburgh. Honestly, in your gut, do you believe the Pens will be here in 2007 and beyond? It certainly seems like the cards are stacking up against them. Who do you think will get the slots license, and what will happen to the Pens?
9. Sports Announcers and TV Personalities- I have a pretty good idea that most of them annoy you, especially the talking heads on ESPN. But are there any that you actually enjoy to listen to or watch?
10. Your Topic- Go off on a rant, call out an overrated team, start a new topic...this is the "wild card" topic. And just to clarify, I tried to set this up last week, but when I mentioned "wild card", readers thought I meant "NFL Wild Card". So I was told I was crazy several times by readers who suggested I quit talking about it. So let's make it clear: I am not talking about the NFL Wild Card. Now go nuts.